Partnerships are about supporting each other. If your super balance — or your partner’s — needs a boost, there are two different ways that you can do this.

How to boost each other’s super

Contributions you or your partner* make to the other’s super can come from either before- or after-tax money. The processes and benefits for each option vary, and the best option for you and your partner will depend on your circumstances.


Before-tax — splitting concessional contributions

Splitting contributions

You can split certain super contributions paid to your account and transfer them to your spouse’s super. Choosing to split contributions with your spouse could suit you if:

  • your spouse is older than you and will have earlier access to their super benefits
  • your spouse is younger than you and transferring your contributions to them will increase your age pension benefits
  • you wish to boost your spouse’s super balance.

You can split up to 85% of your concessional (or before-tax) contributions — that is, employer, salary sacrifice and deductible personal contributions. Splitting contributions is not available for after-tax contributions.

How to get started

Check your balance

If you’re requesting to split your contributions in your NGS Super account, your account balance following the split cannot be less than $10,000. You can request one split per year.

Check your request timing

If you want to split your contributions, we must receive your application by the end of the financial year after the contributions were made.

Complete a Contribution splitting form

Once you’ve decided on the amount you’d like to split with your spouse (within the limit), simply complete a Contribution splitting form and send it to us.

To find out more about the rules around contribution splitting, read our fact sheet Split super contributions with your spouse.

After-tax — make a spouse contribution

Spouse contributions

While it's easy to think that your super will always be growing at a steady pace, the reality is that sometimes life will get in the way. Your employer contributions may stop or decrease if you take parental leave or move to a part-time role.

Your partner may be able to help bridge the gap in your super savings by making a spouse contribution of up to $3,000 to your account. By doing so, they could also be eligible for a tax offset of up to $540. To be eligible for the tax offset, you (as the receiving spouse) must have an annual income of less than $40,000.

Check the contributing spouse’s eligibility for a tax offset

If you (as the receiving spouse) can answer ‘yes' to the statements below, your spouse (married or de facto) will be eligible for a tax offset on the spouse contribution they make to your super:

Eligibility check

  • I am under age 75.
  • Both my spouse and I will be Australian residents at the time the eligible spouse contribution is made.
  • I will not be living separately or apart from my spouse on a permanent basis when the eligible spouse contribution is made.
  • The eligible spouse contribution will be made directly to my superannuation account (not first to my spouse’s fund, then split to my super).
  • The contribution is not being made to satisfy a family law obligation.

The offset available is dependent on your (the receiving spouse’s) annual income. If your income is:

  • less than $37,000, then your partner will receive the full offset which is 18% of the contribution (up to maximum amount)
  • between $37,000 and $40,000, the offset is reduced for every $1 that your income is over $37,000
  • over $40,000, there is no offset available.

How to get started

Check the receiving spouse's eligibility

You’re eligible as the receiving spouse if you:

  • haven’t already exceeded your non-concessional contributions cap for the relevant financial year
  • have a total super balance of less than $1.7 million1
  • are under age 75.

Complete a Spouse contribution form

Once you've decided how much you'd like to contribute, simply complete a Spouse contribution form, attach a cheque and send them to us.

Lodge your tax return

When the contributing spouse lodges their tax return, they will need to declare the spouse contribution that they have made. If eligible, the tax offset will be applied.

To find out more about the spouse contribution rules, read our fact sheet Make spouse contributions work for you.

More information

Consolidate your super

If you're with more than one super fund, you're paying more than one set of fees. Managing your superannuation is a lot easier when it's all in the one place. Find and consolidate any lost super with us online — it only takes a few minutes.

Learn with NGS MoneyCoach

Super contributions

There are a number of ways you can contribute to your superannuation.

Learn more

Super co-contribution

The super co-contribution is a tax-free bonus from the government to boost your super.

Learn more

Super investments

When it comes to your super, one of the most important choices you can make is deciding your overall investment strategy.

Learn more

Back to Top