Increase your insurance cover — it’s easier than you think28 May 2021 3 min read
There are certain circumstances in which you may be eligible to increase your insurance cover with us without the hassle of completing a full health questionnaire. We call them ‘Life Events’. Life Events pop up quite often — find out what they are and how you can take advantage of them.
What’s a Life Event?
A Life Event is one of these significant life changes:
- the birth of a child
- the adoption of a child
- divorce, or separation of a de facto relationship
- the first purchase (and mortgage) of your primary home
- the death of a spouse or de facto partner
- your child’s first day at primary or secondary school
- first becoming eligible for Centrelink carer’s allowance
- an increase in your salary
- a milestone birthday (30, 40 and 50)
- 10 years of continuous membership in NGS Super.
What’s the benefit?
If you’re eligible, you’ll be able to apply for an increase in your NGS insurance cover without having to complete a full health questionnaire. That means the application process is quicker and simpler.
Many of the listed Life Events are changes that should prompt the review of your insurance anyway. For example, you may need more cover after having a child or receiving a pay rise. The offer is designed to help you during these life-changing events.
Am I eligible?
The offer is only open to people under 60 years old and not working in a job that involves hazardous or heavy manual work. If that’s you, you’ll have 90 days from the date of your Life Event to apply for a cover increase on that basis.
You can only apply for a Life Event increase once in 12 months.
A full list of conditions (for example, maximum cover increase amount) is available on our Insurance — Life events application form.
Apply in 3 easy steps
- Log into your Member Online account. You can find your member number on your annual statement. If you’ve forgotten your PIN, you can reset it online or over the phone.
- Go to the Insurance Benefit column and then the ‘Access my Insurance’ button. Select the green ‘TAL insurance portal’ button.
- Select the ‘Apply for a life event’ tile and complete the brief questionnaire. Alternatively, you can complete our Insurance — Life events application form.
Remember, you have 90 days from the date of your Life Event to submit your application. You’ll need to provide proof of your Life Event and the date it occurred — all details are included in the application process.