Leaving australia

How it works

You can claim your super payment after you leave Australia if:

  • you visited on a temporary visa (excluding visa subclasses 405 and 410) and
  • your visa has expired or has been cancelled.

Please note that if you claim your super payment, you can still return to Australia on another visa. Citizens from New Zealand are not eligible for this super payment as they have the option of retiring in Australia.

How to do it

Online - the easiest way is to claim your super is to apply online using the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) online application system. This is a free service. Your online application will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

To apply online you will need to supply your:

  • personal details (name, date of birth and email address)
  • passport number and country
  • super fund details - (Fund name, ABN and account number)
  • Australian tax file number (optional).

Paper - In order to use the correct paper form, you will need to know where your super money is located.

Please note that if you apply on paper you will need to attach the relevant documents to support your application and to confirm your eligibility.

How is my super paid to me?

You super payment will be paid by cheque and mailed to you. You do not need an Australian bank account to receive this payment. Withholding tax, generally at a rate of 38%, will be taken out of your super before it is paid to you.

For more information, please visit the ATO website

Privacy policy | General advice warning | Disclaimer | Site map | Super Product Dashboard | Unit prices

This website is provided by NGS Super Pty Limited ABN 46 003 491 487 AFSL 233 154. Fund information: NGS Super ABN 73 549 180 515, Superannuation Fund Number (SFN) - 1345/339/49, Superannuation Product Identification Number (SPIN) - NGS 0001AU. NGS Super is a registered trade mark of NGS Super Pty Limited.
Produced by Spark Green