Get the government to contribute to your super - up to $500

How it works

Maria (44 years)

“For most of the 2016/17 financial year I was employed part-time - so I could help look after my Mum who was very sick. In that financial year my total taxable income was $35,000. I always try to top up my super a bit, with an after-tax contribution, so last May I went online and used BPAY® to transfer $1,000 to my NGS Super account. It only took me about 3 minutes and then in November, after I sent in my 2016/17 tax return I received a $500 government co-contribution in my NGS Super account. So now I have an extra $1,500 working towards my retirement.”

Alice (44) and Rob (46)

"This financial year I expect to earn only about $35,000 all up. A lot less than usual because I had a sabbatical for most of the year. Rob and I decided I should take advantage of the government co-contribution scheme this year and that he should also take the opportunity to make a 'spouse contribution' to my super.

So Rob has just made a $3,000 after-tax contribution to my NGS Super account and I've also put in an extra $1,000. Doing it was easy - I just transferred my contribution by BPay using my banking app and Rob sent in a bank cheque with an eForm from the NGS website.

The hard part was deciding to put that extra money aside for our retirement, but when you crunch the numbers it's a no-brainer really. We contributed a total $4,000 and the government will co-contribute $500, plus Rob will get a tax offset of $540.

As an investment, that's hard to beat!"

Step 1. Calculate your super co-contribution and spouse contribution tax offset entitlements

Refer to Terms and Conditions below
Show me what to do next

Once you've found the co-contribution levels that work for you, simply review the checklist below to confirm both you and your partner meet the co-contribution eligibility requirements.

Be sure to take note of the relevant cut-off dates to ensure your co-contribution is successfully processed.

Step 2. Check your eligibility for a government co-contribution

If you can tick all the boxes below, you are eligible for a government co-contribution if you make a personal after-tax contribution to your super in the 2017/18 financial year:

  • My total income this financial year will be no more than $51,813.
  • 10% or more of my total income for the 2017/18 financial year will come from employment-related activities, carrying on a business, or a combination of both.
  • I will be less than 71 years old on 30 June 2018.
  • I have not and will not hold a temporary resident visa this financial year (New Zealand citizens and holders of prescribed visas are exempt from this requirement).
  • I will lodge an income tax return for the 2017/18 financial year (even if I don’t expect to be liable for income tax).
Refer to Terms and Conditions below

Step 3. Check spouse eligibility for tax offset

If you can tick all the boxes below, your spouse (married or de facto) will be eligible for a tax rebate on the 'spouse contribution' they make to your super:

  • Both you and your spouse are Australian residents when the eligible spouse contribution is made.
  • You are not living separately or apart on a permanent basis when the eligible spouse contribution is made.
  • The eligible spouse contribution is made direct to your superannuation account (not first to your spouse's fund, then split to your super).
  • The contribution must not be made to satisfy a family law obligation.
  • My income will be less than $40,000 for the 2017/18 financial year.
Refer to Terms and Conditions below

Step 4. Contribute well before 30 June

  • To make an after-tax contribution to your own super: Refer to the email we sent you to locate our Biller Code and your unique reference number. Use your internet banking to do your BPAY® transaction.
  • For your spouse to make an after-tax contribution to your super: Your spouse should complete a Spouse Contribution eForm and send it to NGS Super with a bank cheque. Click here.
  • Make sure you contribute in good time for the payment to be received no later than Friday 29 June – to be certain, we recommend you do this no later than Friday 22 June.

Step 5. Lodge your tax return

Once you've lodged your tax return the Australian Government will pay any co-contribution that you're entitled to, into your NGS Super account - generally within 60 days. The amount will then appear on your next fund member statement. When your spouse's tax return is lodged, the ATO will take the tax offset for any spouse contribution into account when calculating the tax refund.

* Terms and Conditions

Eligible personal super contributions were or are to be made to your super account during the 2017/18 financial year.
Your total annual income is assumed to meet the definition of ‘total income’ for the co-contribution eligibility test and income for the spouse tax offset eligibility test, which is the sum of the following with nil allowable business deductions:
  • your assessable income for the financial year;
  • your reportable fringe benefits total for the financial year, and
  • your total reportable employer super contributions for the financial year.
In addition, you must also meet the following conditions:
  • you have a total superannuation balance less than the transfer balance cap on 30 June 2017.
  • you will not breach the non-concessional (after-tax) contribution cap for the 2017/18 financial year. Note: You are not entitled to a super co-contribution and your spouse is not entitled to a tax offset in respect of any personal contributions that have been allowed as a tax deduction.

The figures provided at Step 1 are based on a series of assumptions, and are general illustrations only. They do not take your personal circumstances into account and are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice.
For more information regarding after-tax contributions click here

Take advantage of our advice offering today. We offer simple advice through to complex advice tailored for you. Please contact us for more information about our affordable fee structure. Make your appointment today by phone or at